Creator-3D mystery partially solved...

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Jan 29 18:55:34 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 08:05:44PM -0500, Ken Smith wrote:

> Now...  If that is true...  There appear to be two separate creator
> drivers in the source tree.  I have not confirmed it by trying to
> build a kernel for the Ultra-60 that does not include the driver in
> src/sys/sparc64/creator yet but I think the driver that works with
> the Ultra-60 is in src/sys/dev/fb/creator.c.  Both of those files
> wind up going into the kernel if you include "creator" and "sc" in
> the kernel config file.  Given the above theory I tried to build a
> kernel that only had the src/sys/sparc64/creator driver in it.  The
> kernel built just fine (no unresolved symbols, etc) so the drivers
> do indeed at least appear to be separate.  This kernel booted on
> the Ultra-10 without getting hung but there were no signs of it
> having found a creator device anywhere either.

Oops.  Pilot error.  Never mind...

sparc64/creator won't build without the one in dev/fb included, and
the one in dev/fb doesn't correctly recognize the card as a Creator-3D
if sparc64/creator isn't included in the kernel (though in this case
the kernel does compile).  So, it does seem to be one driver.  It just
doesn't seem to like the Creator-3D's that are in the Ultra-10's.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |