Gearing up for 64-bit time_t on sparc64

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sun Jan 18 22:23:21 PST 2004

At 10:21 PM -0600 1/18/04, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
>On Sun, Jan 18, 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  > Also, as mentioned in the UPDATING.64BTT file, we need to
>  > have a binary-version of 'cvsup-without-gui' available, one
>  > which has been compiled on a 64-bit time_t system.  I have
>  > one of those, so it's a matter of where should we put it for
>people who will need it.
>
>I'm waiing for such a plan to be announced, myself :-)

Well, I have done the following:
     cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui
     make && make install && make package

that created the file:     cvsup-without-gui-16.1h.tbz

I renamed that to be:      cvsup64btt-without-gui-16.1h.tbz
and put it in:             ~gad/public_distfiles
on my freebsd.org account.

I'm not sure if that will do "the right thing", but at least I
can say that I provided *something*...

>While I don't mind taking a /few/ risks with my Ultra 5, it runs
>a public website and I'd like to minimize downtime. I also have
>137 ports installed and I'll need to rebuild them all (for safety)
>and having a working cvsup is definitely a benefit.

I suspect that you should plan on the machine will be out-of-service
for at least a few hours while making this change...

>That reminds me ... I've trying to move to a system where my i386
>-STABLE build host holds the ports tree for my -CURRENT machines
>as well (to offload the cvsup and INDEX building, but not the
>package building).  I've received a couple of great hints from the
>stable@ mailing list on this. I wanted to confirm (if possible)
>that the move to 64bit time_t on Sparc doesn't/shouldn't impact
>on this. Any opinion on this?

You are doing something that I do not do, so all I can do is make
an educated guess.  How are you getting the /usr/ports tree from
your i386 box to your sparc box?  NFS?  My guess is that should
continue to work okay.  If you're using something like rsync,
then I assume you would have to recompile rsync on the sparc64
machine (after it is upgraded to 64-bit time_t) before it would
work correctly.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu