64bit time_t problem?

Rob MacGregor freebsd.macgregor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 05:47:20 PDT 2004

On Friday, August 27, 2004 1:19 PM, Hiroki Sato <> unleashed the infinite
monkeys and produced:
>  The time set by ntpdate has a period of about 136 years depending on
>  the previous time.
>
>  I think this is problematic because the system clock can go wrong
>  when the box is left in a power-off state, for example.  Probably
>  the time is handled in 32-bit somewhere, but I am not sure where it is.
>
>  Is this a known problem or is there some workaround?

AFAIK it's an NTP "issue" - your system is required to be within a number of
years of "now" for it to be set.  Trawl comp.protocols.time.ntp for details, or
see the NTP documentation on the NTP website (www.ntp.org) where I remember this
being discussed in the last few months (sorry I can't be more precise).

--
 Rob | Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards!