ultra5/cmd646 hang

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Tue Nov 18 14:26:20 PST 2003

At 9:54 AM +0100 11/18/03, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>Garance A Drosihn <drosih at rpi.edu> writes:
>  > Well, for what it's worth I hit something vaguely similar
>  > on my Ultra-10 [...]
>  > Unfortunately, I then mistakenly blew away my working
>  > kernel, so right now I can't boot up the machine at all.  [...]
>
>Just disable DMA in the loader (set hw.ata.ata_dma=0) and boot
>your new kernel.  Slow as hell, but it works.

Okay, I tried that.  It did not print out the
   ata3: resetting devices ..
message, but it died with a panic:

panic: trap: memory address not aligned
Debugger("panic")
Stopped at      Debugger+0x1c:  ta              %xc, 1

db> trace
panic() at panic+0xf0
trap() at trap+0x394
-- memory address not aligned sfar=0xdedeadc0ee sfsr=0x40029 %o7=0xc007ec28 --
ata_prtdev() at ata_prtdev+0x14
ata_timeout() at ata_timeout+0x130
softclock() at softclock+0x1a0
ithread_loop() at ithread_loop+0x1b8
fork_exit() at fork_exit+0x84
fork_trampoline() at fork_trampoline+0x8

I know nothing about lower-level sparc64 debugging, so I am
probably stuck at this point.

It will not be much of a problem if I have to reinstall this
system, so don't worry too much about this situation until I
get back to some kind of bootable system.  Thanks for the
suggestion though.  it would have been nice if it had worked!

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu