portversion/portupgrade

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Wed May 28 19:34:18 PDT 2003

At 1:49 AM +0200 5/29/03, Thomas Moestl wrote:
>On Wed, 2003/05/28, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>  >
>  > Hmm, I thought knu made a change to bsd.ruby.mk some time
>  > ago that switched sparc64 over to using ruby-devel, but the
>  > problem persists with freshly-built ports.
>
>Hmmm, yes, I must have misremebered that.
>The bug really seems to be in ruby-bdb1, which is also marked
>NOT_FOR_ARCHS=sparc64.
>
>I just got portupgrade to work on my box, however by changing
>the dependency in the Makefile from ruby-bdb1 to ruby-bdb
>(as already hinted in a comment) and dropping the attached
>patch into files/ to make it use ruby-bdb instead of ruby-bdb1
>by default.

I haven't upgraded portupgrade and ruby on my sparc64 box for
awhile.  It was working when I started to investigate this.  I
rebuilt ruby, and after that I started having problems with
portupgrade.  Note that in my case ruby-bdb1 was already
installed, so the dependency-checking did not fail, although
I was getting errors from portupgrade commands.

One portupgrade problem led to another, and eventually I just
moved aside /var/db/pkg and /usr/local, and started over.  I
do not have many ports installed, so that was a simple solution.

I followed the suggestions from Thomas, and it seems to be
going OK for me.  There were a few oddities in building things
though, which I should figure out.  Initially I somehow managed
to build portupgrade without building ruby-bdb.  It was even
working fine, until I did tried 'portversion' and that complained
about a stale-dependency (the missing ruby-bdb).

However I'm doing this on a rather slow machine, and at this
point I need to leave for the day.  I'll try to look into it
some more tomorrow.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu