sparc64 real memory

Jake Burkholder jake at locore.ca
Thu Apr 10 15:29:04 PDT 2003

Apparently, On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 12:01:49AM +0200,
	Anders Andersson said words to the effect of;

> Hi Jake,
>
> One question comes to mind after your latest commit to fix the 'real
> memory' report in dmesg on sparc64.
>
> I have 512MB of RAM in both my i386 (p4) box and in my Ultra10.
>
> sparc64:
> real memory  = 515129344 (491 MB)
> avail memory = 493608960 (470 MB)
>
> i386:
> real memory  = 536805376 (511 MB)
> avail memory = 516767744 (492 MB)
>
> Is this difference something one would pay any notice about or is ot
> normal?

Its normal.  The real memory will be lower because the prom takes a chunk of
memory and we can't reclaim it for the kernel because we still need to call
the prom.  There may be some stuff that we're not reclaiming from the loader,
but its a little unclear how to safely do that.

The avail memory will be lower in relation to the real memory due to being
a 64 bit platform; everything is just bigger.

Jake