FreeBSD could use how many cpu(x86) max?

John Baldwin jhb at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 12 06:36:17 PST 2009

On Thursday 12 February 2009 3:07:30 am James Chang wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>      Does any ever try FreeBSD on box that has more than 16 CPU?
>
> I got an HP ProLiant DL 785 G5 with 32 core (Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm)
> Processor 8356 (2300.10-MHz K8-class CPU) and 256G memory.
> When I boot this machine, it could detect 32 core, but only use 16 core!?
>
>      What should do to get FreeBSD 7.1 work with 32 core?
> Or, FreeBSD 7.1 only 16 Core Max ?

Out of the box FreeBSD only supports 16 CPUs.  You can increase that to 32 by
changing MAX_CPU in sys/(amd64|i386)/include/param.h and rebuilding.  On
amd64 you can actually bump it up to 64 if desired.  I don't make any
promises as to how well the system will perform with that many CPUs enabled
though.

--
John Baldwin