During boot: "Programming 16 pins in IOAPIC" ... and then hangs

David Landgren david at landgren.net
Fri Sep 19 06:01:14 PDT 2003

Greetings list,

I have an HP DL380-G3 with a P4 processor. I upgraded the source tree
last night to 4.9-PRERELEASE. This is the last server I have that is
running a GENERIC kernel, two others are successfully running SMP
kernels (insofar as hw.ncpus = 2).

I copied over a successful kernel configuration file and tried to
build an SMP kernel. The new kernel boots with the following:

Programming 16 pins in IOAPIc #0
IOAPIC #0 intpin 2 -> irq 0
Programming 16 pins in IOAPIc #1
Programming 16 pins in IOAPIc #2
Programming 16 pins in IOAPIc #3

... and then hangs. If I comment out

options        SMP
options        APIC_IO
options        HTT

in the kernel configuration file it boots correctly. I've searched
around, and found that someone had a similar problem [1]. The
suggestion there was to increase "your NINTR to 32", and also talks
about APIC_INTMAPSIZE and ICU_LEN. These don't appear to be kernel
options, at least, grep APIC LINT doesn't return anything else.

I'm now worried that if I upgrade the other two servers they'll die on
reboot. Included below is the kernel configuration file used

Thanks for any clues I can use,
David