current smp on primergy p200 / i386/39234

Simon L. Nielsen simon at nitro.dk
Sun Apr 27 16:25:26 PDT 2003

On 2003.04.28 01:11:03 +0200, Marco Wertejuk wrote:

> I was installing Current on a Fujitsu Siemens Primergy P200
> running a SMP configuration and I need the same patch as
> described in http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=i386/39234
>
> After patching the mp_machdep.c the system works fine,
> but I don't see the point, why this always has to be
> patched manually.
>
> Is there a reason, why this haven't already been commited?

Because it is only valid for the particular motherboard used in the FSC
P200/C200 and would most likely break SMP for other motherboards.  A
"valid" patch would detect the problem (the hang) and the hack the APIC
I/O ints table only in this case.

This is my understanding of the issue anyway.

I don't know enough about the FreeBSD kernel yet to do a proper patch.

--
Simon L. Nielsen