problems getting SMP kernel to run on IBM intellistation

Brad Zimmerman bzimmer at megavision.com
Tue Apr 8 16:19:39 PDT 2003

On Monday, April 7, 2003, at 10:40 PM, Sêrêciya Kurdistanî wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> Now, on that front, I did take both processors out, re-seated them -
>> same problem. I went down to one processor and put the "blank" back
>> into the 2nd processor slot. The box ran fine. I pulled that processor
>> out and put the 2nd one into the slot 0. The box ran fine. Both
>> processors seem to work _individually_ but not with SMP.
>
>   What specificaly are the lines you enabled for SMP in the kernel?
>
>   I believe that with 4.7+ there are only two lines needed:
>
>   options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor
> Kernel
>   options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
>
>   You may want to have the following in there too:
>
>   options         SYSVSHM         # include support for shared memory
>   options         SHMSEG=9        # max shared memory segments per
> process
>   options         SYSVSEM         # include support for semaphores
>   options         SYSVMSG         # include support for message queues
>
>   Try that and let us know what happens.

Okay, I just got a chance to try it, and the system got a little
further. I already had the following enabled:

options	SMP
options	APIC_IO

options	SYSVSHM
options	SYSVSEM
options	SYSVMSG

I added the following:

options	SHMSEG=9

I took out the following:

options	HTT

Configured, compiled, installed, rebooted. This time, the system booted
all of the way up. I got the message telling me my second processor was
enabled and then got a login prompt. Definitely better. I logged in and
ran top just to see what was happening. It appeared that processes were
being assigned to both processors to run and everything went great...
for about 20 seconds and then the machine froze again. Rebooted and got
the same result. I'm now back on my GENERIC kernel and I'm good again -
but with only one processor working.

I appreciate the ideas, and they definitely seemed to help, but I've
still got something not quite right. I'm open to try other ideas or
post any information that might be useful.

Thanks!