What's our standard "stripped-down FreeBSD" tool?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 25 11:16:47 UTC 2007

On 2007.07.25 11:31:42 +0200, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> "How long is a piece of string" ;-) ie likely depends what size
> flash drive is !  My impression (non user) is Freesbie aims CD size,
> whereas Nano or Tiny aim [a lot] smaller ?
>
> man nanobsd:
> 	 doesnt quote a typical size but does have SEE ALSO picobsd
> man picobsd:
> 	"which typically fits on a small media such as a floppy disk"
> 	"The biggest problem is determining what will fit on the floppies"
>
> Suggestion: run them, generate images & use send-pr to report approx
> default sizes to be included in manuals so we know for future.

Default sizes for nanobsd in default config is 2 x normal FreeBSD size
+ ~5MB, but of course you need to set the size of your flash.  You can
get it on to a 128MB flash with a config file which excludes stuff
like toolchain etc. without much trouble.  The interesting size really
is with a config file like this.

64MB requires more work, but is possible.

You can get PicoBSD down to a 1.4MB floppy with FreeBSD 4 at least.. I
haven't tried for later FreeBSD versions since it's just too much pain
getting it working compared to how cheap flash is today.

--
Simon L. Nielsen