{pico, tiny, nano}BSD, FreesBIE

Eugene Grosbein eugen at kuzbass.ru
Wed Oct 11 20:45:17 PDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 04:31:18PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

> NanoBSD compiles, and is capable of being set to build a cross image of
> a different architecture.
> Different compile options can be used from the build system,
> e.g. you could leave out support for kerberos or similar and get a
> different version of telnet.
>
> TinyBSD uses the precompiled binaries on the building system. Thus it
> can not make a crossbuilt image, or one based on a different
> revision. (It does however make a custom kernel) It is however
> REALLY fast.. It is interactive to some extent and can make an image
> which will run off the boot media or create a memory filesystem
> image. (select at build time). In size it is similar to
> NanoBSD but 'simpler', though less flexible. Still needs a little
> work for running off a USB stick but works fine in mfs mode.
>
> FreeSBIE is another option. it is designed to make not only a
> basic image but to include all sorts of packages and possibly
> configure them.

NanoBSD also supports installing packages. It supports customizing scripts.
Older version (Makefile-based) supplied sample script that run
pkg_add * in a specital directory containing a set
of packages to go to the image. Recent does not suppy such sample
but you may use your own script to do so and Nano's building process
will put packages to the image automatically.

Here is what pkg_info show for one of my working NanoBSD routers:

arpwatch-2.1.a13_2  Monitor arp & rarp requests
glib-1.2.10_11      Some useful routines of C programming (previous stable vers
ipacctd-1.47        IP accounting using divert socket
joe-3.3,1           Joe's Own Editor
libiconv-1.9.2_1    A character set conversion library
libslang-1.4.9      Routines for rapid alpha-numeric terminal applications deve
mc-4.6.1_3          Midnight Commander, a free Norton Commander Clone
net-snmp-5.2.2      An extendable SNMP implementation
pkgconfig-0.17.2    A utility to retrieve information about installed libraries
quagga-0.99.4_2     Free RIPv1, RIPv2, OSPFv2, BGP4, IS-IS route software
screen-4.0.2_3      A multi-screen window manager
trafshow-3.1_5,1    Full screen visualization of network traffic (an ancient ve

Eugene Grosbein