adding ports (and apps) to NanoBSD

Jeff S small1 at jamcotimes.com
Fri Jun 9 10:06:59 UTC 2006

I installed NanoBSD on a DamnSmallMachine (VIA C3 Nehemiah
and IDE flash disk). I like the architecture and it booted
on the first try. Well done!

What's the "proper" way to add ports and apps?

I tried ...

Manually installing in the Files hierarchy.

   Pro: Do it once.

   Cons: Tedious. Impractical for large ports.

Pkg_add in /usr/obj/.../_.w

   Run nanobsd.sh, chroot to /usr/obj/.../_.w, run
   pkg_add. Re-run the last three parts of nanobsd.sh
   (prune_user, create_*_diskimage, and last_orders).

   Pro: Works.

   Cons: Gets trashed during rebuild. Doesn't scale.

The following methods failed.

Mount _.disk.image, chroot, then pkg_add.

   Out of free space during perl5.8 installation.

Unionfs (empty dir over .../_.w), chroot, and pkg_add.

   Pkg_add failed.

   Unionfs of .../Files over .../_.w could be ideal.

Any suggestions?

Also, I found this web page very useful. Thanks Daniel.
Unfortunately, there are no links to it.
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/nanobsd.html
I'll mention it here so it might get picked up by search
engines.

Thanks,

Jeff