Ports and Mondifications

Phill Hocking phocking at no-wire.net
Tue Aug 8 16:43:49 UTC 2006

Roger Miranda (Digital Relay) wrote:
> Well here come some more questions from the newbie.
> I'm keeping everything in notes so then hopefully I can get some more
> documentation to the freebsd team (Not sure how the whole ducumentation
> process works). But on to the questions:
>
> 1. I've got Packages installed, but I would like to install some ports is this
> doable? I'm guessing the one problem I got right now is when I do
> a "Portupgrade -Dcf <portname>" it can not get routed to the internet.
> Is there a way around this?
>
> 2. I would like to modify some files in the nanobsd filesystem image. I know I
> can do it at build time. But is there a quicker way of rebuilding the image
> instead of waiting for the whole process? For testing is sure sucks due to
> the long compile time (I need a faster system).
>
> Well thanks for all the help.

You can do it the way phk does
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-October/056974.html
Basically this is the tough part. Any port that adds a user will fail.
It's easier to just mount the image, cp over the packages, and then
upload it to your running device. You also could just add them to the
/usr/obj/wherever and run the last few steps of nanobsd.sh too.

--
Phillip Hocking
Director of Operations

phocking at no-wire.net