Boot from USB stick?

Robert Blacquiere robert at guldan.demon.nl
Wed Jan 19 07:19:23 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 01:52:33PM +0100, Ben Stuyts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anybody succeeded in booting FreeBSD from a USB memory stick? I'd
> like to use one of those on a Via mini-itx board to have a completely
> solid-state data-acquisisition system.

Booting from usb is only supported with usb 2.0 devices. And must be supported
by the parent hardware. After initial bootloader you get a umass scsi emulation
on the usb stick. It would be possible to use it. With normal bootloader. If you
can load the loader on the boot 0 block. I heard not all usb sticks support this.

> I've been searching these lists and google but found nothing helpful
> yet.
>

> With kind regards,
> Ben

Robert

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
OpenBSD: Hey guys you left some holes out there!