Building custom system help

Sandro Noel snoel at gestosoft.com
Tue Aug 23 00:54:31 GMT 2005

Greetings

This is my firs post to the mailing list,
if i make a newbe mistake i'm sorry in advance :)

I would like to build a very custom system from FreeBSD,
i looked at the sample make.conf file and read the related handbooks,
but still i need more info.

first i would like to know where i can find information on building a
system tree inside a BSD installation,

also is it possible to customize the system tree without breaking
everything,
as an example, let's say i would prefer the /etc to be located into
the /system/etc and system binaries to be placed into /system/sbin

if it is possible to build a custom system tree how would i proceed
to reflect these changes to the ports collection

and finally i would like to build a VERRY slim system without the
build/package tools, i would like to know how to select the very
basic files needed for the system to boot into a shell to start with
and then install only the binaries needed for my operations.
as an example i would not need for multi user support, but i would
need networking, as WIFI and/or Bluetooth.

Thank you in advance for any help or pointers that you can provide :)

Sandro Noel