help installing picobsd

Juha-Matti Liukkonen jml at cubical.fi
Sun May 16 06:55:07 PDT 2004

Hi,

it would be useful to know something about Unix when trying things like
this :-)

In any case, the unpacked image file is an _image_ file. It is not a file
to be put on a floppy; it is the _entire_ contents of a floppy, including
partition tables and the filesystem. You need to use dd (on unix) or a
tool like fdimage or rawrite (on DOS) to write the image to a floppy.

For example, in BSD you would say: dd if=thefilename of=/dev/fd0. (You
could add bs=18k to get optimal transfer speed for a 1.44M floppy.)

Then just put the floppy in the drive and reboot to BSD...

Br,
Jussi

--
Cubical Solutions Ltd, Juha-Matti Liukkonen
Phone: +358 40 5280142
Email: jml at cubical.fi