PicoBSD diskless embedded 'where to start'

Cybertime Hostmaster hostmaster at cybertime.net
Mon Feb 9 11:44:47 PST 2004

> For the archives/record, the following statement in this
> thread reflects the notion that PicoBSD is a "distribution",
> in this case the remark indicates that it's thought to
> be a distribution based on FreeBSD 4.3:
>
>  "> ... Pico shows ...built on a more modern kernel...
>   > ...the 4.3 for Pico, and m0n0 presently uses the 4.9."

You clipped out the clarifying parts.

I was talking about the link, the FAQ, not Pico itself.

The problem with much of the Pico documentation I have looked at so far is
it deals with older kernel issues.  When the kernel is newer, those issues
may no longer exist, or may be addressed in a new manner.

The advantage of a project that works with the present kernel is that any
issues that are discussed take this into account.

This does not make m0n0 specifically better than Pico in any way, shape or
form.  It just makes it easier for someone stepping in to BSD for the
first time to get a grasp of the present issues, settings, etc.

For example, a FAQ for an older BSD miniaturizing project might reference
using kernel build options to control the number of processes, etc.  In
contrast, a newer FAQ for a newer kernel would very likely talk about
/boot/loader.conf.  That is just one example, and perhaps not the best
example.

The third option I talked about, miniBSD, is a better example.  He shows
some differences between the 4.x and 5.x kernel that are specific to
things commonly done when making a smaller FreeBSD.

As for the issues you mentioned with Pico itself, I was not talking about
them because I was not talking about Pico.  I was only discussing the
link, the FAQ.

--Eric