Making less

Martin Jessa freebsd at yazzy.org
Fri Dec 12 04:45:37 PST 2003

Hi.

We have managed to make a set of shell scripts that do just that, automatically.
It's correct that you need CURRENT to be able to build support for ath.
I am on a assignement now working on a WISP but when i come back I will try to update the www.wifibsd.org site and put all the scripts there and write a howto about all the necessarily steps required to build your own version of it.
As I told you before, join us on irc.freenode.net , #wifibsd channel and maybe we could help you there.

Cheers,
YazzY

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:59:02 -0800
"Cybertime Hostmaster" <hostmaster at cybertime.net> wrote:

> I use FreeBSD for very little.  For the few things I do, binary installs
> work fine, and have given me absolutely no issues.
>
> I now want to do a little more, specifically some imbedded device stuff on
> a Soekris 4521.
>
> The FAQs I have found so far all talk about compiling everything and
> removing what I do not need, or using PicoBSD.  Neither of these solutions
> will work for me.
>
> I have a Mini PCI a/b/g WiFi card that uses the Atheros chipset, which
> requires the CURRENT tree for driver support. . . . the things I learned
> AFTER buying things are a little more than I expected.
>
> What I have tried so far is doing a 5.c CURRENT build on a text box, and I
> intend to do the PXE boot from that box.  In fact, when I was trying to
> get 4.9 to work, I did boot off of PXE just fine.  I just did not have
> support for my Mini PCI card.
>
> When I did a buildworld on my testing box, I ran out of hard drive space.
> It has 2 GB, which should be HUGE is comparison to the CF this will
> eventually live on.
>
> What I have been looking for is a way to download and build less.
>
> Now, when I do a binary install on a regular system, I have the option of
> putting in base, compatibity (1x to 4x), crypto, dict, doc, games, info,
> man, catman, profiles, src, ports, local, perl, and xfree.
>
> When I look at the source tree it has base, contrib, gnu, etc, games,
> include, lib, libexec, release, bin, sbin, scrypto, share, skerb5,
> ssecure, sys, tools, ubin, and usbin.
>
> This has left me at a loss.
>
> Since the choices are not the same, how do I compile just a minimal
> install?  Obviously someone, somewhere has a list of what goes where, or
> there would be no such thing as a minimal install.
>
> Does anyone have a link to a FAQ/DOC/README/MAN that lists this
> information?  If one exists, I have missed it in the last few weeks of
> looking.
>
> --Eric

Martin M. Jessa
http://www.yazzy.org