Forums.FreeBSD.org - SSL Issue?

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu May 14 10:02:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, 14 May 2015 10:28:27 +0200, Patrick Proniewski wrote:
 > On 13 mai 2015, at 23:18, Anders Gulden Olstad wrote:
 >
 > > Qualys report chain issues
 >
 > that's pretty odd, because I've checked too just after sending my
 > reply to the list (message id
 > A2D58CCB-8B0A-40FF-9ED1-89B698A830DD at patpro.net), and Qualys reported
 > no issues at all about the chain. That was about 7-8 hours before
 > your message.
 >
 > But well, the global note was B at this time, and now it's A+. They
 > obviously upgraded TLS from 1.0 to 1.2, ditched support for "old"
 > browsers, and made other cipher tuning. Good job admins (though I
 > would have been a bit more conservative about browser support).

Well, I can't reach https://forums.freebsd.org/ at all at the moment, my
(admittedly ancient, on 8.2) SeaMonkey now consistenly reports:

"Data Transfer Interrupted
The connection to forums.freebsd.org has terminated unexpectedly. Some
data may have been transferred."

.. which I found pretty weird as I'd read this post - also not reachable
now, of course - at 03:20 this morning, ie 17:20 UTC on 13th May:
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/virtualbox-4-3-26-wont-start.51341/

I checked 'forums.freebsd.org' at
https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=forums.freebsd.org which
is currently showing: "The server supports only older protocols, but not
the current best TLS 1.2. Grade capped to B."

That report also shows "Valid from Tue, 12 May 2015 00:00:00 UTC
Valid until Tue, 17 May 2016 23:59:59 UTC (expires in 1 year)"

although my successful access at 03:20 this morning above was over 41
hours later than that Server Key and Certificate #1 date.

Hopefully a temporary glitch, though I rarely refer to the forums.  No
similar issue with https://www.freebsd.org/ luckily (a matter of time?)

cheers, Ian