online cheksum verification for FreeBSD

Elmar Stellnberger estellnb at elstel.org
Tue Jan 28 05:30:13 UTC 2014

A respective tool for Debian based distros has just been released (http://www.elstel.org/debcheckroot).
It takes a somewhat simpler approach than its rpm-based counterpart and may serve as a prove of concept.
The only thing that is required is a sha/md5sum list for each package (as private keys tend to be stolen
relying on them is not a good idea either way). If we already have sha1sums somewhere in the package
header it should be possible to port the tool. However locally stored checksums are not of use as they can
be manipulated arbitrarily.

Elmar