am I NOT hacked?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Sat Apr 26 11:15:17 UTC 2014

Joe Parsons <jp4314 at outlook.com> writes:
> I was slow to patch my multiple vms after that heartbleed disclosure.
> I just managed to upgrade these systems to 9.2, and installed the
> patched openssl, then started changing passwords for root and other
> shell users.  [...]

If you were running 9.2 or older and had not installed OpenSSL from
ports, you were never vulnerable.

In any case, heartbleed does *not* facilitate remote code execution or
code injection, only information retrieval, so unless your passwords
were stored in cleartext (or a weakly hashed form) in the memory of an
Internet-facing SSL-enabled service (such as https, smtp with STARTTLS
or imaps, but not ssh), you cannot have been "hacked" as a consequence
of heartbleed.

Your passwd etc issues are consistent with out-of-sync {,s}pwd.mkdb
which can result from a botched mergemaster.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no