am I NOT hacked?

Jason Hellenthal jhellenthal at dataix.net
Sat Apr 26 10:23:58 UTC 2014

Excuse me but there is nothing about the information you have provided that could or would suggest that you have or have not been hacked. There is not a way from the very little information that you have provided to diagnose that and doesn't seem that you have covered all the avenues possible to even detect an unwanted change in your systems.

For the least part yes FreeBSD does store the passwd info in a database. You could have skipped running vipw(8) and just run pw_mkdb /etc/master.passwd to resolve that problem. Its common knowledge.

To solve the hacked or not hacked problem you should take the steps to create a new clean system and migrate your data but j doubt this list is a justified medium to discuss all the possible avenues that you would have to cover on a possibly compromised system.

Clean fresh system and start from there.

Good luck

--
 Jason Hellenthal
 Voice: 95.30.17.6/616