FreeBSD's heartbleed response

Florent Peterschmitt florent at peterschmitt.fr
Tue Apr 8 18:39:06 UTC 2014

On 08/04/2014 19:46, Mark Boolootian wrote:
> While it may not be quite what you're looking for, ports contains
> OpenSSL 1.0.1g.

Why not moving critical parts of the basesystem to ports, that will be
installed at system installation of course?

It was one of the reasons to get BIND out from sysbase, but since their
is a fresh new and powerful package manager, I think FreeBSD should rely
on them instead on persisting to keep all sort of stuffs into the base.

An "openssl-current" and an "openssl-stable", both providing "openssl"
(an of course conflicting between each other) can be a good solution, nope?

FreeBSD should be split in packages over the time, I think. And
splitting it is not a synonym of a "not coherent system" ;)

If you tell me FreeBSD should be and will always be delivered as
tarballs/svn/freebsd-update, well, at least freebsd-update is a bit slow
but still works.