FreeBSD Transient Memory problem?

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 14 10:26:27 UTC 2013

Hello, Brett.
You wrote 13 сентября 2013 г., 15:47:13:

>>Juniper's FreeBSD has been verified (whatever it mean in such particular
>>case) as installed inside such router - e.g. version, patch level,
>>kernel compilation options,  loaded kernel modules,  ...
>>
>>In short, results of security audit of FreeBSD 9.1-R-p2 compiled without
>>if_re module is not applicable to FreeBSD 9.1-R-p3 compiled with if_re
>>module nor to FreeBSD 9.1-R-p3 compiled without if_re module

BG> True, but the details of memory allocation and scrubbing are unlikely to
BG> change.
  This "but" is not applicable to formal certification process. As engineer
 you are totally right. But certification is not engineering. Certificate is
 given to one concrete configuration. In some certification processes even
 change of brand of memory modules in computer could avoid certificate, for
 example (I don't say, that it is so for EVERY certification, but formal,
 bank- or government-recognized security ones typically are SUCH strict).

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>