fatal: cipher_init: EVP_CipherInit: set key failed for aes128-cbc [preauth]

Garrett Wollman wollman at bimajority.org
Tue Jul 30 12:01:31 UTC 2013

Am I the only person to be seeing this log message from sshd:

fatal: cipher_init: EVP_CipherInit: set key failed for aes128-cbc [preauth]

?

(security/openssh-portable, with HPN patches and MIT Kerberos,
although Kerberos is not actually configured on this server.)  A
work-around is to disable aes128-cbc in sshd_config, but it would be
nice not to have my logs spammed with this.  Currently running
openssh-portable-6.2.p2_3,1, and I think it started with upgrade to
6.2.

-GAWollman