Collecting entropy from device_attach() times.

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Sep 20 09:20:57 UTC 2012

RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> writes:
> You're basing a model for all devices on a single sound card, that
> doesn't seem safe to me.  Isn't it possible that a device could take a
> long and well defined time?

Please understand that the timers used here have a resolution of around
1e-8 to 1e-10 seconds.  You may be able to predict the first six digits
with reasonable accuracy - in fact, the first four or five will almost
always be 0, except for devices with moving parts - but anything beyond
that is a crapshoot, even in a virtual machine.

(I am speaking, of course, of decimal digits - multiply by 3.322 for the
corresponding number of bits)

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no