Single user mode

Fabian Wenk fabian at wenks.ch
Wed May 16 10:28:51 UTC 2012

Hello

On 16.05.2012 11:06, Tom Evans wrote:
> You can fix boot order in the BIOS, but a BIOS can be reset simply by
> removing the BIOS battery briefly. In addition to that, many BIOS will
> also offer a boot menu option - which cannot be disabled -  allowing
> the user to choose which device to boot from without entering the
> BIOS.

In addition you should use computer cases, which can be prevented
from opening with a padlock. So removing the hard disk or
resetting the BIOS needs a lot more effort. Also you should chain
the computer to something, which is fixed to the building, so it
can not be removed easily.

I do know student computer rooms with Linux workstations, which
are "protected" with this measures. But there is also the regular
system monitoring in place, and if a systems goes down
unexpected, you will know it and can do something about it.

bye
Fabian