Default password hash

Simon L. B. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 11 11:51:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Lev Serebryakov <lev at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hello, Simon.
> You wrote 10 июня 2012 г., 14:02:50:
>
> SLBN> Has anyone looked at how long the SHA512 password hashing
> SLBN> actually takes on modern computers?
>  Modern  computers  are  not what should you afraid. Modern GPUs are.
> And they are incredibly fast in calculation of MD5, SHA-1 and SHA-2.
>
>  Modern key-derivation schemes must be RAM-heavy, not CPU-heavy.

But the modern CPU's will limit the number of rounds you can use for a
hash (if you use same system as md5crypt), as you can't let users wait
10+ seconds to check their password.

>  And   I   don't   understand,   why  should  we  use  our  home-grown
> "strengthening" algorithms instead of "standard" choices: PBKDF2[1],
> bcrypt[2] and (my favorite) scrypt[3].

Recall that FreeBSD's MD5 strengthening probably predates most of the
other systems by a while (I'm too lazy to look it up).

That said, I generally agree we should go with something standard or
existing unless there is a very good reason not to.

PBKDF2 / RFC2898 is what GELI uses (which I mentioned previously).

--
Simon