periodic security run output gives false positives after 1 year

Gary Palmer gpalmer at freebsd.org
Mon Feb 20 14:54:07 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 02:01:24PM -0500, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 06:59:54PM +0100, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> > Glen Barber wrote:

> > > Rotating the appropriate logs daily/weekly/monthly/whatever will silence
> > > these false alarms.
> >
> > My post was not about "how can I fix it localy", but what sould be done
> > in FreeBSD distribuition, because these false alerts were made by
> > default FreeBSD configuration (coincidence of newsyslog settings,
> > periodic scripts and log format)
> >

> IMHO, this isn't something the FreeBSD installation can "guess" as a
> suitable default, but up to the administrator to define what is
> appropriate for their system.

Whether or not the administrator tunes their setup to meet their
requirements, the default newsyslog.conf should not allow these
alerts to happen by enforcing a minimum of 1 roll over per year.

Miroslav, please file a bug report requesting newsyslog.conf be updated
to mitigate this problem.

Thanks,

Gary