periodic security run output gives false positives after 1 year

Jason Hellenthal jhell at DataIX.net
Sun Feb 19 04:52:10 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 04:35:20PM -0500, Robert Simmons wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Roger Marquis <marquis at roble.com> wrote:
> > I don't personally recall a time when everything else wasn't logging the
> > year, in one format or another.  That's not to imply that syslogs
> > shouldn't be distinguishable by year but the question seems to be where
> > the year should be logged, A) on every line or B) in the archive file
> > name.
>
> There already is a standard, RFC 5424:
> freebsd-security at freebsd.org
>
> You are asking, should we make our own decision to do this totally
> differently than the standard set in that RFC, or should be implement
> that RFC?
>
> Another option is to do nothing and stick with the way it is.
>
> I think the way to proceed would be to implement RFC 5424, and have it
> as a switch in rc.conf, something like:
>
> syslogd_flags="-x"
> where x is the new switch that would enable RFC5424 style logging.

How about a environment variable that login.conf could be adjusted for
so in-case something else wants to benefit from similiar behavior it can
just look for that too ? Similiar to how BLOCKSIZE works. After all this
is an environmental change.