gpg keys on USB drive

Steve Clement steve at localhost.lu
Sun Jun 19 13:00:31 UTC 2011

On Jun 18, 2011, at 3:23 AM, Robert Simmons wrote:

> I have been reading up on keeping encryption secret keys on a USB thumb drive
> so that there is an "air gap" so to speak except when the drive is inserted in
> the machine and mounted.

Good idea, just make sure you have a "Backup" of your Thumb Drive.
I usually have 2 thumb-drives that sync between each other but I also do an encrypted on-disk Backup.
USB Sticks tend to break rather fast and that jeopardizes your valuable keys.

> Is it possible to replace all the files in my home directory with symbolic
> links to the corresponding files in the USB drive?  This seems easy, but how
> can I be sure in FreeBSD that the symlinks will always work when the drive is
> plugged in?  I have noticed that the device is sometimes different depending on
> what other USB devices are plugged in and where they are plugged in.

The symlinks defo work for gpg/mutt/firefox/thunderbird etc...

I have a rather old mock-up to achieve what you want to achieve:

http://localhost.lu:8081/GeneralProtection

> Also, other than the obvious drawback of needing to remember where the drive
> is, and plug it in, are there any drawbacks to keeping keysets such as for
> OpenSSH, geli providers, GnuPG, KWallet, and BitCoin on a USB drive?

I think loosing the key is the biggest drawback. So better be sure to not be messy :)

Also bare in mind that your Rootkit does scan for removable media so it's no real protection against that kind of attack.

> Lastly, using geli to create a passphrase based encrypted provider ON the USB
> drive before storing everything on there would increase its security, no?

Maybe, see drawbacks.

cheers,

- --
Steve Clement