SSL is broken on FreeBSD

Dan Van Pelt Dan.VanPelt at wwu.edu
Tue Apr 5 06:50:03 UTC 2011

On Apr 4, 2011, at 7:39 PM, "Garrett Wollman" <wollman at bimajority.org> wrote:

> <<On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 09:05:47 +1000, richo <richo at psych0tik.net> said:
>
>> On 05/04/11 06:57 +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>> It has occurred to me that maybe the FreeBSD SO should create a root
>>> cert and distribute that with FreeBSD.  That certificate would at
>>> least have the same trust level as FreeBSD.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter Jeremy
>
>> But what would that CA trust?
>
> The certificates he also generates for services like freebsd-update
> and portsnap.  And probably also a certificate for use in email to the
> security-officer role, so that those benighted people who only have
> access to S/MIME email can still send him private messages.  Ideally
> it would also be used to sign the CHECKSUMS files on the FTP site, so
> that the installer could check whether it was talking to an authentic
> mirror site and ask the user what to do.

Not ideally, but rather critically, should the CHECKSUMS files be signed with some well guarded and official public key.  Not to sound paranoid or anything...

I would welcome having a 'FreeBSD' root certificate ship with the OS but would leave the other certs to the domain of a port that I install when needed.  FWIW (and forgive me if this is already the case) it would be nice to have a port equivalent to security/ca_root_nss that would allow the user to select which certs get installed during configuration.

Cheers,
Dan van Pelt