seeking current supported crypto co-processors

Ricky Charlet RCharlet at adaranet.com
Fri Sep 3 21:27:08 UTC 2010

Thanks Ivan,

        You have some valid points about performance. I was hoping not to get distracted from the main thrust of my question by performance considerations though.

        Are their PCIe attachable crypto co-processors with current vendor support for FreeBSD8.x?  If anyone else reading this thread want's to chime in with info about current supported crypto co-processors that plug in via PCIe, please drop a note.

        However, I think you do deserve a reply on the performance topic...

        I am close enough to agreeing with you to not argue much about whether modern CPU parts can saturate a 1 Gb link with crypto data. The CPU part I am currently married to (a touch old but not that bad), seems to be able to through around 200Mb of IP-ESP data around. However, in spite of these observations, I would prefer if my system could handle that throughput load and yet have CPU power left over for other tasks.

        I'm very attracted to Andre's mention of "newer x86/amd64 CPU's see:
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AES_instruction_set". Does anyone know if FreeBSD supports or will support this through either /dev/crypto or through openssl (or any other mechanism I guess)?

---
Ricky Charlet
Adara Networks