ftp passive mode

N.J. Mann njm at njm.me.uk
Thu May 20 16:10:03 UTC 2010

In message <111263.90106.qm at web52308.mail.re2.yahoo.com>,
	gahn (ipfreak at yahoo.com) wrote:

> I am behind firewall and only pass ftp sessions are allowed. With
> that, most ftp sessions of portupgrade would not be able to connect to
> remote FreeBSD sites.
>
> Could I reconfigure the my FreeBSD 7.3 in a way so that it would only
> start ftp sessions in PASV mode?

The on-line handbook in section 4.5.2 'Installing Ports' says:

  The ports system uses fetch(1) to download the files, which honors
  various environment variables, including FTP_PASSIVE_MODE, FTP_PROXY,
  and FTP_PASSWORD.

So try setting FTP_PASSIVE_MODE in your environment.

man ports  and  man fetch  may also be worth a read.

Cheers,
       Nick.