tcpdump -z

Andy Kosela akosela at andykosela.com
Fri Aug 27 17:44:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 6:20 PM, Aldis Berjoza <aldis at bsdroot.lv> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:32:18 +0300, Marian Hettwer <mh at kernel32.de> wrote:
>> In fact, I would suggest to disable root, so that su - doesn't work at
>> all.
>>
>> ./Marian
>
> Ye, and once sudo is broken (somehow, for whatever reason) you have lot's of
> fun (especially on servers) :D

Yes.  Sudo(8) also just adds another complexity level to a very
crucial UNIX authentication mechanisms.  I would say that if any of
your users need to run root-specific commands (including tcpdump(1))
then something is not right, and it's only a matter of time when you
will be having some serious problems.  I'm not even mentioning that
sudo(8) like any other binary in the system is exploitable and it has
a history of security holes (especially in the way it parses its
configuration file).

Anyway, discussion about including sudo(8) in the BASE comes back here
about every five years or so, but as the general consensus is that a
*correctly* configured sudo(8) is not that bad, it's not that good
either for being a substitute for an overall solid security policy.

Andy