tcpdump -z

Marian Hettwer mh at kernel32.de
Fri Aug 27 14:32:21 UTC 2010

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 15:27:07 +0100, István <leccine at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well to be honest i don't see any case when i want to give sudo+tcpdump
> access to any user on my box. And those who are admins/roots anyway the "su
> -" just works perfectly and they can run tcpdump.

Well, that wasn't an answer to my question or the claim of Andy.
In fact, if you need to give access to some root-only binaries to a
normal user, sudo(8) is the way to go.
With "su -" you would allow full root-access, even though you might
just want to allow specific commands to an unprivileged user.

so. ehm. no!
In fact, I would suggest to disable root, so that su - doesn't work at
all.

./Marian