DNS of FreeBSD.org been Attacked!?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Tue Mar 24 10:51:35 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:00:24PM +0000, freebsd-security-request at freebsd.org wrote:
> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:56:10 +0800
> From: James Chang <james.technew at gmail.com>
> Subject: DNS of FreeBSD.org been Attacked!?
> To: freebsd-security at freebsd.org
>
> Dear all,
>
>       I found some strange DNS query result these days.
>
> Show the strange result as following :<
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup ftp11.tw.freebsd.org 168.95.1.1
>
> Server:  dns.hinet.net
> Address:  168.95.1.1
>
> Name:    ftp11.tw.freebsd.org.com.tw
> Address:  82.98.86.170

  Correct the configuration of your Windows machine (under Connection
Properties -> TCP/IP properties -> Advanced -> DNS -> "Append these DNS
suffixes", so that ".com.tw" is not appended as your domain by default.
Otherwise, things won't work well for you.

  This is in no way a FreeBSD issue.
  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net