emacs installs a lot of 777 directories

Nikos Ntarmos ntarmos at cs.uoi.gr
Thu Mar 19 03:45:11 PDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 09:30:44PM +0200, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 23:56:10 +0100 (CET), freebsd001 at pc.jgr.de wrote:
> > Dear list members,
> >
> > I am not only wondering about the permissions of several emacs-related
> > directories as it has recently been mentioned in this thread, but also
> > about the ownership of several emacs-related files.
>
> This seems to be a local installation glitch.
>
> >>find . -not -user root | head -n 3
> > ./emacs/22.3/etc
> > ./emacs/22.3/etc/GNUS-NEWS
> > ./emacs/22.3/etc/fr-drdref.ps
> >
> >>find . -not -user root | wc -l
> >     2643

That's probably due to the fact that emacs uses something along the
lines of 'tar -chf - ... | tar -xvf - ...' to copy the files, followed
(in some cases) by a chown to $LOGNAME (or if that is not set, to
$USERNAME). If you just 'su', LOGNAME remains set to what it was before
(i.e. nutzer), while 'su -' will clear that out.

Cheers.

\n\n