emacs installs a lot of 777 directories

freebsd001 at pc.jgr.de freebsd001 at pc.jgr.de
Sun Mar 15 16:50:18 PDT 2009

                                             March 16, 2009
Dear Giorgos,

thank you for coming back to the emacs issue. I deinstalled
emacs by means of pkg_delete -v -d, deleted by hand
/usr/local/share/emacs to make sure that nothing is left,
logged in as user "nutzer", and did su to root:

> id
uid=1006(nutzer) gid=1000(user) groups=1000(user),0(wheel)
> su
Password:
>id
uid=0(root) gid=0(wheel) groups=0(wheel),5(operator)

Then, I did cd to /usr/ports/editors/emacs and did make and
make install. The result is as follows:

>pwd
/usr/local/share/emacs/22.3
>ll
total 22
drwxrwxrwx   5 nutzer  wheel   3072 Mar 15 23:52 etc
drwxr-xr-x   4 nutzer  wheel    512 Mar 15 23:53 leim
drwxrwxrwx  20 nutzer  wheel  13312 Mar 15 23:53 lisp
drwxr-xr-x   2 root    wheel    512 Mar 15 23:52 site-lisp

There are some rwx directories as originally mentioned in
the thread, and several directories as well as the files in
these directories are not owned by root, but by nutzer.

If I log in as another user in the group wheel, do su, and
repeat the procedure, the files are owned by the other user
I log in.

As I have only limited console access or find the console
access inconvenient, I have installed many ports by logging
in as a user in the group wheel and doing su to root. But
only emacs related files are owned by somebody else than
expected.

With best regards
Joachim Griesche

freebsd001 at pc.jgr.de