OPIE considered insecure

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Mon Mar 2 13:49:49 PST 2009

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 01:19:32PM -0800, Chris Palmer wrote:
> Benjamin Lutz writes:
>
> > Because the inconvience of not using whatever service or data the server is
> > providing is considered greater than the security risk.
>
> But isn't regular password authentication the most convenient of all?

Not in my experience, no.

I configure ~/.xsession to run "eval `ssh-agent`" and "ssh-add" very
early, so all processes run under that environment get the benefit of
the cached authentication credentials I thus set up.  Then I can login
to most machines I care about directly, without requiring additional
authentication.

To me, that's far more convenient than ensuring that I'm around & paying
attention whenever some random process (e.g., a CVS update) wants a
password.

And I strongly suspect that it's better security than a password.

For my externally-visible sshd, there's no way I'd use a reusable
password for authentication.  As things presently stand, I only permit
SSH public key authentication for that use.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.