One-time password implementation.

Wed Dec 9 11:01:04 UTC 2009

Quoting Mark Fullmer <maf at eng.oar.net> (from Tue, 8 Dec 2009 17:01:11 -0500):

> HOTP is defined in rfc4226, it's not my own.  There is variant
> called TOTP which ties the count to a clock.
>
> The Spyrus reader has an RTCC which could be used to drive the
> count.  What scenario do you see a time based token having advantage
> over a loosely synchronized count?

Situations where the generated passwd is sniffed somehow (e.g. looking
over the shoulder) and then the person is tricked in not logging in
for a while. Currently he would notice the compromise, but it would be
still possible to compromise until the owner of the account wants to
login himself. With a time based limit, the attack has to be fast.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
"I never got in on my looks, you know."
"You were always better looking than you photographed."