freebsd-update

Eirik Øverby ltning at anduin.net
Wed Dec 2 19:13:48 UTC 2009

Your uname -a will say you're running -STABLE, not -RELEASE-something. This is a result of using source upgrades to anything but RELENG_6_X in the past. Which, in turn, is why freebsd-update fails.

Move /usr/bin/uname out of the way, create a shell script like so:

---
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/uname.org $* | sed s/STABLE/RELEASE/g
---

and chmod 755 it. Then try again. I know, it's ugly, and it might get you into trouble. But it Worked For Me.

Oh and I suppose this belongs on the -users or -stable list?

/Eirik