Increase in SSH attacks as of announcement of rtld bug

Garance A Drosehn gad at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 1 22:41:33 UTC 2009

At 10:23 AM -0700 12/1/09, Brett Glass wrote:
>Everyone:
>
>I don't know if it's a coincidence, but I doubt it is: Since the
>announcement of the rtld bug, we've seen a precipitous increase
>in the number of SSH password guessing attacks on our systems.

I have seen an increase in attacks on some of our systems here at
RPI (the ones I care about are mostly solaris).  I noticed it
Sunday night, and assumed it was due to the long weekend.  My
guess was that they expected to have more time to guess passwords
before anyone would notice.

While I saw a definite increase, it was not enough of an increase
to be alarming.  Our current automated procedures can handle it.

Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn at rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad at FreeBSD.org