A new kind of security needed

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jul 24 16:51:46 UTC 2008

    Doesn't OpenBSD have a syscall filtering mechanic where one can restrict
    the file paths the program is allowed to access?

    What I would like to see is the ability to just wrap an application
    with a few process-tracked control directives which restricts what
    portion of the filesystem and kernel namespace the program (and all
    its children)" can then access.  So, e.g. something like:

    #!/bin/csh
    #
    pmac $$ << EOF
    restrict all
    allow-read ~/.firefox /usr/pkg/bin
    allow-read /etc
    allow-write ~/.firefox ~/download
    allow-connect <path_to_X11_socket>    <<<<<< ok that probably would be
    allow-connect named
						 a gaping hole, but...
    exec firefox ...
    EOF

    It seems to me it would be fairly simple filter to make.

    The problem with using different usernames, jails, chroots... the
    problem with all of that is that they are not fine-grained mechanisms
    and it is seriously inconvenient to set up on an application-by-application
    basis.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon at backplane.com>