OpenSSL warning from dns/bind95 build...?

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 14 00:42:33 UTC 2008

Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> On 2008.07.11 13:14:09 -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>
> [quote edited to contain important part]
>
>>> WARNING         Your OpenSSL crypto library may be vulnerable to
>>> WARNING         one or more of the the following known security
>>> WARNING         flaws:
>>> WARNING
>>> WARNING         CAN-2002-0659, CAN-2006-4339, CVE-2006-2937 and
>>> WARNING         CVE-2006-2940.
>>> WARNING
> [...]
>> Is the version of OpenSSL now included with RELENG_6 (OpenSSL 0.9.7e-p1)
>> OK, or is it at risk as reported?
>
> Just so there is no doubt - the base system OpenSSL isn't actually
> vulnerable to those issues.  They were fixed in SA-02:33.openssl,
> FreeBSD-SA-06:19.openssl, and FreeBSD-SA-06:23.openssl.
>
> The BIND build system just has no way to see this since they were
> patched instead of upgraded.

... hence the false economy of not doing a "standard" upgrade of the
version in the base. :) It's nice to know that for the particular set
of problems listed in this version of BIND's warning message our users
should not be at risk though.

I used the ports openssl on my 6-stable boxes without problems, but I
did not have that many ports installed, and I nuked the base openssl
first. YMMV.

Doug