[Fwd: cvs commit: ports/dns/bind9 Makefile distinfo ports/dns/bind94 Makefile distinfo ports/dns/bind95 Makefile distinfo]

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Thu Jul 10 15:05:57 UTC 2008

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Stef wrote:

S> Thanks!
S>
S> Here are simple steps to use this instead of the base named (and easily
S>
S> # cd /usr/ports/dns/bind9
S> # make && make install
S> # ln -s /etc/namedb/named.conf /usr/local/etc/named.conf
S> # echo 'named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named" >> /etc/rc.conf
S> # /etc/rc.d/named restart
S>
S> LMK if I missed something.

(or use NO_BIND= in /etc/make.conf and WITH_REPLACE_BASE= on port options, but
be careful when upgrading configs...)

Just to have you and other related parties informed of a pitfall I stepped
into:

-- 8< --
From: BIND9 Bugs via RT <bind9-bugs at isc.org>
Subject: [ISC-Bugs #18265] AutoReply: bind update to 9.4.2.1: 'empty label' inconsistent check

Dear Doug and ISC maintainers,

just updated bind94 on our master server and found that together with
vulnerability fixes there is at least one glitch in configuration checks

History: we have automatic scripted system to secondary some zones from one of
our partners. so, part of named.conf is auto-generated, then checked via
named-checkconf and then applied.

After today upgrade I found that new server failed to start, which is really a
PITA, as it has 13k+ authoritative zones. Named-checkconf does not return an
error. named reports 'empty label' without any reference to config file and/or
line number. After some nervous minutes of binary search ;-) I found the
offending line, which erroneously contains two dots instead of one.

I suppose this should be fixed at least in named-checkconf.

-- 8< --

Sincerely,
[ FreeBSD committer:                                 marck at FreeBSD.org ]