BIND update?

Marian Hettwer MH at kernel32.de
Wed Jul 9 23:41:23 UTC 2008

Hi Chris,

Chris Palmer schrieb:
> So I'm not too worried about the lack of urgency from the FreeBSD security
> team on this particular issue. It's not news that DNS is insecure and that
> BIND has a bug. Nobody should have been depending on the security of DNS or
> on a bulletproof BIND.

True words!
However, since the SecTeam of FreeBSD always did a great job, in this
specific case, which had quite a huge coverage in the "press", at least
a Heads Up to freebsd-security@ saying something like "Stay tuned for a
patch folks, we're investigating" would have been appropriate.
When everybody tries to get mad, and that's what happened, a statement
like that could have calmed things done in the first place.
But maybe I missed that heads up, 'cause I jumped into this discussion
quite late...

Well, anyway, SecTeam, keep up the good work :)

Cheers,
./Marian