BIND update?

Wesley Shields wxs at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 9 18:12:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 01:27:06PM -0400, Josh Mason wrote:
> On 7/9/08, Remko Lodder <remko at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > Remko Lodder wrote:
> > > Josh Mason wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks, you really showed how you are by sending these replies. I wish you
> > goodluck with your quest, perhaps someday someone can help you.
> > >
> > > Goodbye.
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > I am sorry for this reply, it was an expression of my frustation towards
> > you. The frustation is just easily generated by people demanding support
> > from volunteers, that are trying to service you and others in their own
> > spare time. Time that they can also spend on different items, yet we
> > crazy people decide to work on a Free Operating System, getting nothing
> > payed for it, only happy users (Where possible) around us.
> >
> > I think you can understand my frustration, because I think you would reply
> > the same if someone demanded even more free time from you.
> >
> > I hope you can understand this.
> >
> > //Remko
> >

> I completely understand and took no offence from your previous email -
> I know I am being confrontational. I myself have been in that position
> many a time before and know exactly how it feels. Unfortunately that
> doesn't negate the responsibility of the security team to produce
> patches quickly.
>
> The initial response of "the sec team is aware of the situation and
> will investigate" was basically just fluff. If you weren't already
> aware of it you aren't much of a sec team. What is needed is an
> expected delivery. I would say considering the nature of the exploit
> but honestly that shouldn't change anything at all. If the delivery
> isn't going to be immediate there should always be an ETA provided. If
> for nothing else other than so your users can plan around it (i.e.
> "this is too long I need to take action myself" - "or X time or date
> is sufficient I'll wait for the official release and apply it then").
> Without that people are twiddling their thumbs wondering if there is
> ever going to be one.

You have a good point there.  I'm not aware of any page which describes
the current issues under investigation by the security team.  If such a
thing does not exist I think it would be a good thing to have,
especially if it details rough timelines for things.  By that I mean
recording historic information and expected information (we received
notification on this date, we expect to have a final advisory on this
date).

In the security world there is a balance which must be maintained
between providing information to consumers so that they may plan
accordingly, and not providing too much information so that the
attackers can write exploits; this is the sensitive nature of the
information which often leads to opaque processes by security teams
around the world.  There is the case where full details are released
without advance notice to the vendors/projects, in which case the
balance has been lost from the start.

Remko, do you - or anyone else - on the security team have any thoughts
on this?  I'd be willing to step up and keep a wiki page (or something
else) up to date with the information.

-- WXS