ProPolice/SSP in 7.0

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Fri Jan 4 00:18:29 PST 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Gunther Mayer wrote:

>> 2.  Convince Kris Kennaway to run his mysql benchmarks on a FreeBSD 8
>> system both with and without SSP to verify that there is no significant
>> slowdown.
> Hmm, I guess Kris is not subscribed to -security? Maybe I'll have to post in
> -questions then...

Just e-mail him directly.

>> 3.  Get it enabled on FreeBSD 8 by default.
>> 4.  Request that the change be made to FreeBSD 7.1 or 7.2 after it has
>> proven to not cause problems on FreeBSD 8.
> Ok, but what's the best way to go about that? Don't see that being documented
> in the handbook. Do you suggest a post on -questions or a send-pr or both?

Follow Jeremie's example.  Put up a webpage with all of your changes
explaining why they're great and should go into 8.0, then post that to
-arch.  If that doesn't work, post it to -hackers, if that doesn't work...
basically, you just need to find a committer who also thinks it's a good
idea and is willing to commit it.

Apologize to Jeremie if he had patches to finish the job and they didn't
get in.  Everyone was rushing to get things in before code freeze, but
then the 7.0 release has been massively delayed because of instability we
found out about after the fact. :(

Mike "Silby" Silbersack